Good morning, world! It’s Friday and I am so grateful.
Stefano and I had a very nice, low-key Valentine’s day celebration, which was exactly what I was hoping for.
We exchanged cards and had some lovely conversation, but we were basically just waiting until we could get to these:
Chocolate-Covered StrawberriesMakes 12 strawberries
- 1 dozen strawberries
- 1 cup chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, doesn’t matter!)
- Optional: shredded coconut or other toppings to sprinkle on.
- First I washed and dried the strawberries and laid them on a cookie sheet that was covered with parchment paper.
- I put a big pot of water on the stove, then made a make-shift double boiler by putting a glass bowl inside and turning the heat up to medium.
- After added the chocolate chips to the double boiler, I made sure to stir frequently and keep a close eye on the melting status. Pro-tip: Be sure not to get any water inside the bowl – it will totally ruin the consistency of the chocolate.
- As soon as the chocolate was melted through, I turned the heat down to low (make sure you don’t burn the chocolate) and started dipping away.
- After placing the chocolate-dipped strawberries on the tray, I sprinkled some shredded coconut on each strawberry (you want to do this while the chocolate is still hot so it will stick!).
- Once I finished dipping and topping the strawberries, I popped the whole tray in the fridge and sat down for dinner. By the time we had finished eating, the chocolate had hardened and those little babies were ready to eat!
This is such an easy yet indulgent treat and you can make as few or as many as you want – the recipe is totally flexible.
Since today is Friday, it is the last day of the Week of Love Challenge. Sad days! I was enjoying making the conscious decision to express my love to the people I care about. Today’s challenge is to remind us that we are all connected to each other and it is up to us to care for the people all around us. Therefore, I present to you the Random Act of Kindness Challenge!
Can’t wait to hear about the wonderful RAKs you do today!
This weekend I have so many things to look forward to. Tonight is a birthday dinner for my friend Ellen at Ardeo Bardeo. I have been there for brunch before, but this will be my first time for dinner. Then on Saturday, I am going to bust a move or two at a Zumba party with Allison! The event is being put on by Vida, one of the gyms in DC and is taking place from 5-7 PM at the U Street Music Hall. DMV-ers, come join the party (and after party)! I’m sure I am going to look ridiculous, but it’s going to be amazing.
On Sunday I have to prepare for the arrival of a special guest. My friend Lars is visiting the US for the very first time from Germany and will be hanging out with me until Wednesday. I am so excited to show him around, but I feel a tremendous amount of pressure to make sure I help give a good impression I have plenty of day-time ideas, but if anybody from the area wants to recommend places to go/things to do in the evenings, I am totally open to suggestions.
Do you have any fun plans for the weekend? Spill!
Wishing you the happiest of weekends – I love you guys!